Sunday, February 9, 2014

I love to READ week!

Valentine's Day isn't exactly my favorite holiday. (It's not much fun when you're single.) But, I'm always trying to come up with ways to make it fun in the library. We've been out of school ALL week. (Believe me I've been using that time wisely... Working on our school yearbook and even a little painting and custom clip art work too... With a few strategically placed naps in between.;-)) We may even have MORE bad weather next week! (It doesn't take much to keep us out of school here in KY.) If we actually manage to be in school next week, I have some fun plans and I really think these plans would be fun not just in the library, but also in your classrooms! Give it a whirl! ;-)

Plan #1: I want to cover the library tables with bulletin board paper. I'm going to allow students to write on the table about the book they love most! Hopefully, others will read what they've written and it will inspire them to try a new book! Fun, huh? Since I only see students once per week, I guess I'll try to leave it on there for as long as it will hold up. :-) (Yes, I'm still planning as I go! Lol) 

Plan #2: Mystery Date With a Book. I did this last year. It's a little bit labor intensive for a time-cramped librarian, but the kids loved it and I got a few of them to try stuff they never would have picked out on their own. I even have all the resources you need in my TpT store. (It was one of the very first things I ever posted! Even before I started making clip art!)  I wrap up some of my favorite books (especially older ones that don't get circulated much) and put labels on the front telling the important information. Then, if they actually finish the book and take the AR test, they get a prize!

 


 

Plan #3: I'm not sure if I'll get to do this next week or not, but in the past, I've had a "Book Float Parade." (See the pictures above.) Students use a shoe box and decorate it like a tiny parade float to represent their favorite book. We tie ropes to them, blast the marching band music and drag them down the halls of our school while students who didn't make floats line the hallways to watch the parade go by! The kiddos love it... And so do I.  My float is always the same. It's a Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus float. My shoebox looks like the bus and my Pigeon stuffed animal sits on top. :-) (It really is my favorite book! I mean, can you think of any other read-aloud that would allow you to throw a hissy fit? You know we all want to sometimes!) Some of our teachers are even planning to do some writing to tie in with it. Woo hoo! I love it! Kids writing all about why they love their favorite book!
 
Hopefully, this post will inspire you to try something new in your classroom or library next week. There's a perfect book out there for everyone. Our job is to help them find it and these activities should give kiddos lots of ideas about what to read next!

 


2 comments:

  1. Cool artwork. Thanks once again for sharing this kind of article. Try to check this too
    Types of Insectst

    ReplyDelete
  2. متتالية فيبوناتشي pdf تم تقديمها للغرب في القرن الثالث عشر من قبل عالم الرياضيات الايطالي ليوناردو بيسانو

    ReplyDelete